SNAMP Oversight Committee
The SNAMP Oversight Committee has officially been formed and had their first meeting on July 29th, 2010.
The oversight committee has 3 Members:
- Dr. James Bartolome – Professor of Rangeland Ecology at UC Berkeley and Leader of UC’s Sustainable Natural Ecosystems Initiative.
- Dr. Sam Traina – Vice-Chancellor of Research and Graduate Studies and Professor in the School of Natural Resources at UC Merced.
- Dr. Michael Allen – Director of the UC Riverside Center for Conservation Biology, and Department Chair Plant Pathology and Microbiology, and professor in the Department of Plant Pathology and Microbiology, and in the Department of Biology at UC Riverside.
The purpose of the Committee, as defined in the statement of Neutrality, is:
- Provide guidance to the UCST regarding its efforts to act as a neutral third party of experts. In this regard, UCST may enlist the wisdom of the Committee to provide advice on questions or issues concerning the academic freedom of UC Science Team members.
- Report to the ANR Associate Vice-President regarding performance of the UCST and the efficacy and wisdom of the University’s service of this sort to the State of California.
- If conflicts arise that cannot be resolved internally, the UCST lead PI will ask the external oversight committee to review the issue. The external oversight committee will then report guidance and insights back to the UCST that the UCST will then consider in creating a final resolution to the specific issue.
Dr. Barbara Allen-Diaz, as Associate Vice President with UC's Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources (ANR) appoints the members of the Oversight Committee and the members report to her regarding the "performance of the UCST and the efficacy and wisdom of the University's service of this sort to the State of California" (quoted from the Statement of Neutrality).
The agenda, meeting information, and meeting notes can be downloaded here: