Discussion

Let us know what you think about any topic related to the Sierra Nevada Adaptive Management Project in the forums below. The Principal Investigators on the UC Science Team cannot answer every post, but they will read all comments in their areas, and respond to comments as a group at each quarterly meeting. We greatly value your input!

  • We plan to prioritize species as to importance to forest management in the Sierra Nevada, and address the most important ones as budgets allow.
  • Integration of the four topic areas is an issue currently under discussion and development.
  • One of the criteria for selecting species to include in the workplan is the likelihood of a meaningful, perceptible response to the proposed management
  • We anticipate that up to a ten year period may be required to produce meaningful results.
  • The power to detect change is one of the considerations in the development of the workplan.
  • Any management will favor some species and disfavor others. In the criteria for prioritizing species to include in the workplan, we do not include those that are likely to be favored, because these are of much less controversy, and not an impediment to forest management.
  • We think that those species for which already we have a good understanding of habitat relations are less important to include; the essence of adaptive management is learning and producing new knowledge of how a system functions.
  • We agree that trophic considerations are important to any ecological research.
  • We realize that there are always financial constraints, but we plan to propose what we feel will address the issues we were charged with.
  • We are defining wildlife as terrestrial vertebrates, excluding fish, invertebrates, plants, etc.
  • We will attempt to coordinate with other state and federal research and management efforts as appropriate.
Lynn Huntsinger said at 1:12 p.m. on 19 January 2006 ,

Comments fell into 6 categories:

  1. How do you define adaptive management?
  2. How can we review the workplan and other documents?
  3. Have you thought about using appeals to help decide on research and participation topics?
  4. How long will UC be involved in the project?
  5. The Pacific Fisher management needs transparency and change. Will you address this?
  6. Will you be evaluating Forest Service stewardship and other projects?
Q: How do you define adaptive management? A: We have been refining our definition and have come up with the following statement: Adaptive management acknowledges uncertainty and the need to learn. The term "adaptive" refers to managers learning about systems as they attempt to manage them. Our adaptive management process incorporates scientist, stakeholder, and manager knowledge and ideas, as well as scientific information, in the development of hypotheses and goals, and is designed to improve information about the ecosystem over time. We seek to engage scientists, stakeholders, and managers in a long-term relationship grounded in shared learning about the ecosystem and society, and we expect objectives to change as society, environment, knowledge, and science change . Adaptive management incorporates stakeholder participation in order to get increased and broader information and make higher quality decisions. Participation takes time, and does not necessarily reduce conflict, but successful participation develops a process that builds trust.

Q: How can we review the workplan and other documents? A: We will post documents to the website, including iterations. If you need a paper copy, we will provide it upon request.

Q: Have you thought about using appeals to help decide on research and participation topics? A: No, we have not done that, but it is an interesting idea and we will explore it.

Q: How long will UC be involved in the project? A: We will be involved as long as we have adequate funding, believe we can make a useful contribution, and there are opportunities for independent research and for education and outreach. Only with adequate resources can we do the job properly, including making a commitment to being involved for several years. At this point we are developing a proposal for a longer term project.

Q: The Pacific Fisher management needs transparency and change. Will you address this? A: We are devoting considerable time to considering the feasibility of the Fisher as a subject for research in this project.

Q: Will you be evaluating Forest Service stewardship and other projects? A: The goal of this project is to develop an adaptive management process for implementing the Sierra Plan. UC will act as a neutral third party in the process, and will explore ways to increase levels of trust and communication.

Dec. 9th Meeting Participant said at 3:56 p.m. on 9 January 2006 ,

Why no socio-economic module? Needs to be comprehensive work plan

Dec. 9th Meeting Participant said at 8:54 p.m. on 6 January 2006 ,

There is uneven implementation of Framework across SN: which areas will be studied?

Dec. 9th Meeting Participant said at 8:54 p.m. on 6 January 2006 ,

What is response of 3 key variables from USFS implementing a SPLAT strategy on a fireshed: this is the focus. Work plan will propose a series of studies in areas the FS is treating.

Dec. 9th Meeting Participant said at 8:53 p.m. on 6 January 2006 ,

Clarify: is this about effect of SN FP amendment, or is it more concentrated on impacts of treatements in concentrated areas?

Dec. 9th Meeting Participant said at 8:53 p.m. on 6 January 2006 ,

Need key time points if you want people to go to the web site: when do people need to review and send back comments? E.g., when you have done some narrowing of candidate sites or watersheds, decisions on species.

Dec. 9th Meeting Participant said at 8:53 p.m. on 6 January 2006 ,

Lots of distrust within local communities about government research programs; need long-term UC involvement as a buffer, to ensure information comes out.

Dec. 9th Meeting Participant said at 8:52 p.m. on 6 January 2006 ,

Will this evaluate what FS is already doing, or do some additional projects? There appear to be opportunities for stewardship projects and other additional efforts.

Dec. 9th Meeting Participant said at 8:52 p.m. on 6 January 2006 ,

Helpful to articulate action items in work plan by citing to key elements of ROD

Legend Show